Weekend of April 4 and 5, 2020
Registration is open! Click here to register. Limited to 20 participants.
Volunteers of the Pine Ridge Association, Coe’s interpretive association, are offering a guided group backpack trip into stunning areas of the park that few visitors ever see.
You will carpool into the eastern portion of the park to the trailhead. From there, you will backpack deeper in Coe's backcountry and spend the night in utter solitude.
At 87,000 acres, Henry W. Coe State Park is the second largest state park in California. All of this vast and varied terrain can usually only be reached by foot, bike or on horseback making much of the park’s most striking scenery beyond the easy reach of visitors.
In springtime, the hills are green, the streams are running, and the hillsides burst with colorful wildflowers. The eastern reaches of the park are beautiful rolling oak savanna that is a sight to behold – and no one is there.
- Participants should be experienced backpackers and have adequate ability, experience, and equipment to hike up to 8 miles a day, carry their own load, and meet their personal needs in the backcountry, including all meals. Trip will take place rain or shine unless park officials deem roads impassable in which case the trip will be cancelled or rescheduled. If you are unable to participate on the rescheduled date, your money will be refunded.
- Trip will begin Saturday morning and end late Sunday afternoon.
- We will meet at the Bell's Station park entrance on Highway 152 (Pacheco Pass Highway), all drive to the Dowdy entrance, then carpool using participant vehicles to the trailhead at the Orestimba Corral. We will travel over dirt roads passable by street vehicles.
- We will backpack as a group to the campsite area.
- Participants should understand the common hazards that go with traveling in the wilderness. At Coe Park in spring, be aware of poison oak and ticks and rattlesnakes in particular.
Cost: $55/person, $45/per person for Pine Ridge Association members. All proceeds benefit the Pine Ridge Association. Once signed up, more details will follow.
Limited to 20 partcipants. Registration is open! Click here to register.