Coe Park History
Pine Ridge Ranch
Park headquarters for Henry W. Coe State Park is located on Pine Ridge, site of a working cattle ranch from the late 1800s until the early 1950s. Pine Ridge was one of two ranches owned by cattleman, Henry W. Coe. His other ranch, San Felipe, was located east of San Jose.
Pine Ridge provided "summer range" for Mr. Coe's cattle. The cattle grazed here in spring and summer when feed was abundant on the hills. In the fall they were driven back to the San Felipe Ranch.
Henry died in 1943. In 1953, Henry's daughter, Sada Coe Robinson, donated Pine Ridge Ranch to Santa Clara County to be preserved as a park in memory of her father. The land became a state park in 1958.